In pursuance of the objectives of the Programme for Accelerated Growth and Employment (PAGE) and the Country’s overall development strategy as enshrined in Vision 2020, the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment (MOTIE) continue to formulate and implement and as well as support policy measures that facilitate the creation of an efficient and effective environment for private sector-led development. Promote the development of domestic trade, enhancing productive capacity development as well as ensure the creation of a sustained competitive business environment.
Mandate of MOTIE
The Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment (MOTIE) is mandated to formulate and implement trade, investment and industrial policies that promote investment in the productive sector for increased production and export, thus promotes trade as an engine of growth. It also formulates and implements employment, competition and labour matters, promulgates national standards and takes a lead role in trade negotiations in collaboration with other stakeholders for enhancing competitiveness. The following are the specific terms of reference for the Ministry.
• Provide advice on policy formulation in the areas of trade, industry, regional integration and employment;
• Ensure policies are documented and communicated to executing agencies
• Ensure that agencies carry out policy decisions;
• Formulate and implement national trade policies to ensure the maintenance of liberalized trade policy regime
• Formulate and implement national industrial policies to facilitate the orderly socio-economic transformation and modernization process;
• Formulate and implement national employment policies to ensure the building, strengthening and effective utilization of human resources;
• Formulate and implement national policies for micro, small and medium enterprises to facilitate their developments;
• Promote investment, exports and the development of enterprises;
• Provide general management services that ensure the effective functioning of the policies for private sector development.
In addition MOTIE is mandated to coordinate regional integration issues as well as multilateral organizations such as World Trade Organization (WTO), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the African Union (AU), International Trade Centre (ITC), International Labour Organisation (ILO) and other trade-related multinational organizations in collaboration with other sectors in the implementation of regional integration and multilateral programmes.